Friday, May 16, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Stock



 
 
 
I bought one of the pre-cooked roasted chickens at Walmart a couple of weeks back.  To be honest, I thought to myself, I will never buy an already cooked chicken from the market, but I was hungry when I walked in and didn't want to take the time to prepare a meal.  I had to give it a try, it just kept calling my name. 
 
I was really impressed.
 
A few weeks later, I bought another one, and thinking to myself, I can buy a whole chicken and cook it and it would be a lot less expensive, but I kind of like the idea of picking one up and taking a break after a busy day and not preparing a meal in the kitchen. 
 
On that note, I started feeling guilty, so I thought, well, I can make some chicken stock which would probably bring that cost down on the pre-cooked chicken. 
 
Time to share a new recipe:
 
Ingredients:
 
Chicken carcass
4 carrots
2 celery stocks with leaves
1 onion
2 bay leaves
 
 



 
 
 
The first thing to do is put the chicken carcass in your slow cooker. 
 
Chop up the carrots, celery with leaves, and onion.
 
Place these all in your slow cooker.
 
Add two bay leaves.
 
 

 
 
Pour in 12 cups of water, making sure that the chicken bones are covered by at least one inch of water.



Set the slow cooker to the lowest setting and simmer for 24 hours. 

After 24 hours strain and dispose of the chicken carcass and vegetables. 



 
 
 
This yielded about 12 cups for me. 
 
You can place in containers and freeze for up to 6 months until ready to use. 
 
 
You can always add different ingredients.  Peppercorns and garlic and different spices would be ideal too.  Salt is an alternative as well.  
 
 
 
 
Looks like I will be busy preparing some great soups this summer.....
 
 
Adapted from the recipe of:http://www.agirldefloured.com/2014/02/04/slow-cooker-chicken-stock/
 
 
 
Enjoy,
 
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment